Sustainability at UCLA is an effort that brings together the work of students, faculty, and staff alike. Since 2004 the Sustainability Committee, comprised of representatives from across campus, has provided the leadership and coordination for this effort. More recently, dedicated staff members have been able to expand the scope of the program and pursue long-range planning and implementation. If you have questions or suggestions regarding sustainability at UCLA, please contact the staff below.
Sustainability Manager, Housing & Hospitality Services
Sustainability Programs Manager, Health System
TGIF Grant Coordinator and Student Support Service Manager
Members of the UCLA Sustainability Committee represent a broad range of campus experiences. Committee participants include staff from the Chancellor's Office, Capital Programs, General Services, Housing, Student Affairs, and University Communications; faculty with expertise in business, ecology, public health, and the environment; as well as both graduate and undergraduate students.
- Cully Nordby, Academic Director, Institute of the Environment and Sustainability
- Dana Trans, Undergraduate student
- Danielle Griffin, Undergraduate Student
- Saira Gandhi , Director, Graduate Students Association Sustainable Resource Center
- Yoram Cohen, Professor, Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
- Carl Maida, Adjunct Professor, School of Dentistry
- Glen MacDonald, Director, Institute of the Environment and Sustainability
- Peter Angelis, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Housing & Hospitality Services
- Lauri Ashford, Senior Administrative Analyst, Chancellor's Office
- Jeff Averill, Campus Architect, Capital Programs
- Seth Cable, Associate Director, Marketing Strategy, Marketing and Special Events
- Mick Deluca, Director, Cultural and Recreational Affairs
- Renee Fortier, Director, Events and Transportation
- James Gibson, Director, Environment, Health, and Safety
- Karen Hedges, Assistant Director, Residential Life
- Teresa Hildebrand, Sustainability Programs Manager, Health System
- Nurit Katz, UCLA Chief Sustainability Officer
- Harrison Levy, Assistant Director, Student Affairs, School of Law
- Chansoth Hill, Interim Director, Events Office
- Elizabeth Kivowitz Boatright-Simon, Senior Media Relations Representative, Media Relations & Public Outreach
- Aliana Lungo-Shapiro, Sustainability Manager, Housing & Hospitality Services
- Todd Lynch, Principal Project Planner, Capital Programs
- Jerry Markham, Director, Design Project Management Operations, Facilities Management
- Karen Noh, Special Projects Director, ASUCLA
- Bill Propst, Director, Purchasing
- Sue Santon, Associate Vice Chancellor Capital Programs
- Kelly Schmader, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Facilities Management
- Bonnie Zucker, Staff Assembly Representative
- Logan Linnane, Intern
- Academic Subcommittee - Chair: Carl Maida
- Communications Subcommittee - Chair: Sandy Shin
- Events Subcommittee - Chair: Chansoth Hill
Operations Subcommittee - Chair: Nurit Katz
- Water Task Force - Chair: Tracy Dudman
- Food Task Force - Co-Chairs: Robert Gilbert and Aliana Lungo-Shapiro
- Transportation and Planning Task Force - Co-Chairs: Renee Fortier and Sue Santon
- Material Management - Chair: Bill Propst
- Landscape and Natural Areas - Chair: Jerry Markham
- Recycling and Waste - Chair: Jerry Markham
- Green IT - Chair: Jackie Reynolds
- Behavioral - Chair: Nurit Katz
In the spring of 2004, the CA Student Sustainability Coalition (CSSC) at UCLA drafted a letter to Chancellor Carnesale requesting the creation of a Chancellor's Advisory Committee on Sustainability.
Chancellor Carnesale responded generously and commissioned the creation of the Campus Sustainability Committee. To that committee were appointed several faculty and administrators from a variety of campus departments, including student affairs, capital programs, general services, communications, and the chancellor's office, along with two graduate and two undergraduate student representatives. Two co-chairs were appointed to the committee, Mary Nichols, then Director of UCLA's Institute of the Environment, and Tova Lelah, Campus Environmental Planner.
Since the first meeting in April 2005, the Committee has established three sub-Committees; Academics, Operations, and Communications. We also have a Graduate Student Researcher position to help develop the website, to outreach to the campus, and to provide support for existing efforts.
The mission of the UCLA Sustainability Committee is to create a culture of sustainability at UCLA in which the entire UCLA community is aware of, engaged in, and committed to advancing sustainability through education, research, operations, and community service activities.
Download the Charter.
Sustainability in Higher Education
University of California Office of the President, Sustainability Policies
A great place to find out information on sustainabilty policies and implementation efforts in the University of California system.
Published: Tuesday, January 01, 2008